Saturday, August 10, 2013

Florida Sandhill Crane


For years I have been coming to the green swamp in central Florida. So, to see the Florida’s Sandhill cranes is no news to me.







Here at the Wallaby Ranch, we see them often. Recently, though I have noticed a larger number of birds then usual in one spot.






A Sandhill Crane watches a hang glider being towed at the Wallaby Ranch.

Also in the last few years I started seeing them on the most unusual places, such as by the door of the supermarket, or on a sidewalk by the post office. These areas used to be swamp or open field only 4 or 5 years ago.




As I questioned myself as why were they at the sidewalk instead of just coming here at the ranch, I realized they probably used to always be there and each family needs it’s own space. They can live up to 21 years and are highly social animals living in families, normally are a couple with 1 or 2 chicks, or sometimes a juvenile group of a few members will live together after separating from their parents (which takes about 10 months).



The next day, there were 8 cranes right here and at first, I believed them to be one of those young groups that just separated from their parents, although I am not sure about that anymore. I know there is at least one couple with a chick. But I cannot be sure if they are here at different times or not as the young cranes.



Only a couple of days ago I noticed a separation in the groups. Unfortunately, I cannot recognize individuals at this point to be sure and understand what the dynamic really is. Here are some of the photographs. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.






No comments:

Post a Comment