Monday, July 30, 2012

My favorite place in the world - Vanuatu!




That are not that many places in the world nowadays where you can see truly genuine people that live with their hearts fully open to the world.

I had been in Vanuatu once before about 5 years ago. Back then, seeing the way of life of the communities here had made me think that this was the most amazing place in the world. People really know the meaning of sustainability, low impact lifestyle and the importance of community for the individuals well being. 75% of the population lives rurally and mostly out of subsistence.






Sailing back into these waters, I was humbled by the Ni-Vanuatu once more. We have been here for almost two weeks now and have been doing a lot of outreach to the communities and teaching both adults and children on the importance of sharks for the survival of marine ecosystems and the response was extremely positive.





One of the humble settings where we held one of our talks, which the locals call "Talk-Talk".

On our "Talk-Talk" we would sometimes show parts of the documentary SHARK WATER by Rob Stewart, a must see film if you want to understand the massive problem of shark finning.


This shows the reaction of some children watching parts of the movie.

Did you know?
With 90% of large sharks populations already wiped out, they are being wiped out faster than they can reproduce. Some of the Large sharks take around 15 years to reach sexual maturity and only have one sharp pup a year.



Here are those same kids classroom and their teacher.


It was a moment of deep reflection for me. I believe that I have learned much more from these amazing people than I could have ever taught them. Coming from the “developed” world and a lifestyle where we strive to conserve and protect the environment is a lot different than actually living and coexisting in harmony with it.
I have lived out of subsistence before and probably not before too long will be able to do so again to a certain extent. I can tell you first hand that it is not such a easy balance to achieve when we have been born in a big city and a “civilized” place.

The south pacific takes a big chunk of my heart and soul and here are some of the photographs from the expedition.













This last photograph shows the crew of Sea Shepherd's Brigitte Bardot together with the students and teachers of Lakatoro School.
If you like this video sign up for my newsletter, I will keep you up to date on cool projects and send you beautiful pictures right into your inbox.

I will only email you once a month and you can unsubscribe at any time. No spam, ever.














4 comments:

  1. Wonderful and stunning pictures! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susie, I am glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Novie: Your pictures represent their untold story, great work Carol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Novie, wonderful that you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete