Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lost on back roads of Bali.




This was shot near Ubud Bali.
Ubud is such a great place, so relaxed and full of culture.
My favorite thing to do whilst there is to rent a motorbike and just cruise around the area, and this is one the views you might stumble upon. Valleys and rice fields, friendly people and sweat warm wind blowing on your face.


Bali is one those great places that you can never get tired of exploring. Of course, Bali has changed so much from when travelers first started going there back in the 60s and 70s. Like any discovered paradise it got flooded with people and it has seen the unfortunate negatives sides of tourism. I am cooking up an article all about that subject so I will refrain from going there on this one.

I get amazed at how lovely and friendly the people of Bali are, specially when you think of the amount of tourists around. I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned from them. I would say that one of the most important ones is taking life lightly and living in the present.

The Balinese are very spiritual and their religion is originated from Hinduism in contrast to rest of Indonesia, which is mainly Muslim. They have ceremonies and traditions only found on the Island. One that I love is a ritual they have of leaving a little offering outside their houses for the bad spirits. That way those “bad spirits” get satisfied with the offering and stay out the door and out of everyone’s way, so to speak.

A basket full of offerings at one of many Balinese Temples.

offering at Balinese Temple




This is one of my favorite candid portraits.





If you have not been to Bali or Southeast Asia in general you may not know that this is actually the preferred family vehicle.












And here is the gas (petrol) station!





Some School children going home.

When I go to Bali, I try to stay away from the main areas and it really pays.

If you have been to Bali, let me know what was your favorite thing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment