Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Atlantic Puffins


Since the very first time I saw a photograph of a puffin, I was intrigued by the looks of this funny looking bird. I remember reading they are considered to be the penguins of the north by some.

So here I am on the Shetland Islands, Scotland, the first thing I wanted to know when I got here was: Where are the puffins?
I was told I had to get to Lerwick on the main Island, take a one hour bus ride and then walk for 30 to 40 minutes up some road to a lighthouse on a cliff, and there they would be. So, camera bag in hand, I jumped on a ferry to Lerwick, only to find out that the buses did not run as often as I thought. Time was going to be tight for me to get there and then manage to catch the last bus back to Lerwick.

I made it to the location running up the hill like a crazy person. All I can say is that it was worth it! I clicked away like I never did before, time seemed to stop and when I realized 40 minutes had already gone by. Luckily I managed to hitch hike down the hill to be at the bus stop in time to get back.

The result was really satisfying to me and I made it back just in time for supper!


Here are a few of my favorite shots.

atlantic puffin in the shetland islands by carolina a castro


Atlantica puffin in the shetland islands by © Carolina A Castro




Atlantic puffin in the shetland islands by © Carolina A Castro